A 1969 Lotus Formula 2 is for sale this week in the Motorsport Prospects Marketplace and much like last week’s Crossle Formula Ford, it is the ultimate in retro racing cool. You will also be dealing with Boutsen Classic Cars. If that name sounds familiar it should because it is owned by none other than former Formula 1 racer Thierry Boutsen.
Designed by Dave Baldwin, the Lotus 69 was built to compete in the 1970 and 1971 seasons of Formula 2. Using an updated aluminium monocoque and steel space framed engine bay with revised suspension geometry the new car had much success winning 25 out of 32 races entered in Formula 2. This particular car, chassis number 03 of three, was first tested by Graham Hill and thereafter privately entered by Polish count Adam Potocki who raced under the French licence. His first race was the Eifelrennen at the Nürburgring in May 1970.
He raced the complete Formula 2 championship in 1970 and 1971 always in the middle of the grid. After Mr Potocki’s ownership this car changed hands to Europeans owners French, Belgian and now the actual German owner.
This car has been completely restored in 2018-2019.
- The Ford Cosworth FVA 1600cc was rebuilt by G. Richardson (UK) in 2018 which included new Lucas injection system, new exhaust system and dynamometer tested. It has zero mileage since OH.
- The Hewland FT200 transaxle gearbox was completely rebuilt by PDS in 2019. It has zero mileage since OH.
- The chassis is the original F2 monocoque, restored by MECauto in 2018 with new rose joints, bearings, bolts and k-nuts including more. All suspension has been crack tested. A new fuel cells by Conti has been installed.
- The car has its original fiberglass bodywork, it has been repainted in the livery used in 1970.
- 5 Speed Hewland Racing Gearbox
- 4 cyl/1600 cc – Approx. 225 bhp • The car weight is 390 Kg.
- Spare parts include one new front nose cone, one center body part, wishbones, spare oil tank, other smaller items and a new set of wheels.
- In running condition – FIA approved.
Where Can I Race?
Here are a few options for you:
- International Historic Formula Two (UK & Europe)
- Hockenheim Historic (Germany)
- Historic Formula 2 Zandvoort (The Netherlands)
- Masters Formula Atlantic Plus (USA)
Just think, you can actually race a car that was tested by Graham Hill and prepared and sold by Thierry Boutsen. And the car is absolutely gorgeous. It’s a Lotus for crying out loud! Contact the seller direct at this link and start racing this classic today!