This week sim racing coach Suellio Almeida compares sim racing to the real thing based on his recent experience racing an F4 car.
Not only that but I profile two more sim racers making their way into real world motorsport, one in rallying and one in stock cars showing once again how it is becoming a real path forward in motorsport.
As always, I have the latest competitive and general sim racing and tech news plus overtaking tips from Daniel Morad.
All this and more in this week’s Sim Racing Roundup on Motorsport Prospects. Sim racing news for racers not gamers.
From Sim Racing to the Real Thing
Following up from last week’s column, in the video above, professional sim racing coach Suellio Almeida also looks to answer the question of whether sim racing can prepare you for real life racing by focusing on his top 5 comparisons.
In From virtual to reality: How a local sim racer got the chance to compete against the world’s best in Italy, CTV News profiles the sim to real life rallying of Storme Wroblewski.
“In 2021 Wroblewski entered the Rally at Home Challenge, and it paid off. He was named one of the fastest in North America, earning him the chance to compete in Italy in the FIA Rally Star American Final against other racers from around the world. Wroblewski’s goal is to become the first Canadian world rally champion and he hopes to inspire other sim-racers that anything is possible as long as you have the passion and drive to go full throttle.”
In From sim to star: Byron matching Logano’s pace in pursuit of first championship, the NASCAR website profiles the racing career of William Byron as he progressed from sim racing to racing in the NASCAR Cup Series, comparing him to none other than current NASCAR superstar Joey Logano.
“One of the most highly touted prospects in the modern era, Logano burst onto the premier series scene at 18, collecting his first full-time schedule one year later with high expectations at Joe Gibbs Racing. Byron, a sim-racing superstar, wasn’t far behind when he introduced himself at 20 years old and joined Hendrick Motorsports to take over the legendary No. 24, made famous by NASCAR Hall of Famer Jeff Gordon.”
Competitive Sim Racing News
Here are more headlines from the world of competitive sim racing:
- Mobileye Intercontinental GT Challenge Esports: McLaren Veloce stage remarkable comeback to tame Mount Panorama
- Lando Norris causes carnage after gatecrashing Max Verstappen stream
- How Maconi Setup Shop became an official eNASCAR and iRacing partner
- Porsche Coanda Esports works team with three drivers in Spring Major finals
- FIA-backed Northern European Esports Masters iRacing series unveiled with €12,500 prize pool
- Simracing.GP announces league and podcast collaboration with Moza Racing
- ESL R1: Csincsik wins Round 8, Bennett claims regular season crown
Sim Racing Tips & Techniques
In the video above, GT and sim racer Daniel Morad explains 5 ways to overtake. “I am showing 5 different ways to overtake your competitors. We’ll start with more basic levels of passing and moving to more advanced overtakes. I’m not responsible for your future crashes lol.”
Sim Racing Tech Roundup
Here is a roundup of the latest sim racing tech news and reviews from around the world.
- How To Build a Racing Sim Setup That’s Worthy of the Pros
- Thrustmaster eSwap XR Pro Controller review: Modular motorsporting
- Best racing VR headset 2023
General Sim Racing News
- F1 Arcade coming to Boston: Inside the simulated racing experience for Formula One fans
- Motorsport Games Unveils Exciting Update and New Downloadable Content for rFactor 2
- Motocross champ, Olympian launch Sim 4 STEM to introduce girls to careers in motorsports
- ‘Strategic Partnership’ now formed between Straight4 Studios and Reiza Studios
- Missing the Indy 500 Special Event
- Racing in the Rain – Essential or Annoying?
- Automobilista’s Reiza Studios working on GTR Revival
- Fanatec Announced as Official Steering Wheel Partner of the Gran Turismo World Series
- New F1 2023 Game Is About To Take Sim Racing To A Whole New Level
- New sim racing business burns virtual rubber in Downtown Guelph
- Overpass 2 set to take UTV racing to the next level in October
- RaceRoom’s BMW M4 GT3 update available next week, includes BoP and FFB revisions
- 2023 Virtual Race for Heroes to Benefit Operation Motorsport Starts May 21st
- All of the 2023 eNASCAR Throwback paint schemes for Darlington
- Liquipedia launches F1 wiki as it eyes expansion into sports