This week in Motorsport Series News I have details on the new Lotus Emira GT4 race car, more information and video on the new Ferrari 296 GT3, Corvette Racing’s plans for Europe, FT-60 homologation news and more.
- The Ferrari website has some great photos, videos and technical information on the new for 2023 Ferrari 296 GT3.
- Corvette Racing is “exploring all the different paths” for its potential involvement in the 2023 FIA World Endurance Championship, according to General Motors sports car racing program manager Laura Wontrop Klauser. Klauser said that morphing Corvette Racing into a GTE-Am team would represent a notable shift in philosophy for the American organization.
- Preliminary discussions have been held between Roger Penske and FIA World Endurance Championship management regarding the feasibility of a race being held at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in the future. Both parties have expressed interest in exploring the possibility of an event to be created at Indianapolis in the coming years.
- FIA Touring Car Commission president Alan Gow has said he does not expect to see the World Touring Car Cup relaunched as a World Touring Car Championship with manufacturer involvement. “Relaunching the WTCC as an official manufacturer’s championship it’s not something the manufacturers want,” Gow told TouringCarTimes. “The manufacturers have been very clear that they want TCR racing to remain customer racing based. That’s the attitude they’ve had for many years: they start off as a manufacturer and then they gravitate towards customers, a bit like in GT3.”
- Lotus has unveiled the all-new Emira GT4 race car with customer deliveries set to get underway late this year.
- IMSA will prioritize Michelin race tire inventories for sanctioned events over private testing, which is expected to see limited quantities in tire availability due to ongoing supply chain challenges that has affected numerous suppliers amid recent worldwide events.“The ongoing challenges in the global economy continue to impact many aspects of Michelin’s motorsport tire operations,” a statement from Michelin read.
- TOYOTA GAZOO Racing New Zealand’s FT-60 Castrol TRS racing car has officially been homologated by the FIA as a Formula regional car and engine combination. TGRNZ is planning a full return to ‘normal’ for the international championship that was last run with international drivers at the beginning of 2020, just prior to the COVID-19 related travel restrictions in New Zealand and elsewhere were introduced.