Here are some interesting motorsport-related tidbits for the Last Lap that crossed my virtual desk this week. They make a wonderful way to spend a few minutes on a hopefully relaxing Sunday. Enjoy!
- January 18 marked what would have been Gilles Villeneuve’s 72nd birthday last week. Like many Canadians, it was Villeneuve who introduced me to Formula 1. Mark Hughes at Motorsport Magazine has a wonderful reminiscence on when Gilles made his first appearance in a Grand Prix car in MPH Grand Prix debuts: Gilles Villeneuve marks his arrival.
- Arguably one of the most beautiful racing cars of all time, the Ferrari 330 P4 is indeed “One Sexy Beast.” Watch the video above for proof.
- The European auction season begins with a bang as RM Sotheby’s auctions of 28 extraordinary competition cars on February 2. The 2004 Renault R24 above is just one of the cars going on the block. Full details can be found here.
- Richard Hammond will be happy to learn that Noble Automotive is back! They have unveiled their 500-HP fully-analog supercar the M500.
- As we gear up for the 2022 F1 season, take this exclusive access tour of the Aston Martin Cognizant F1 Team factory.
- Finally we have rock royalty meeting sports car royalty as Pink Floyd’s Nick Mason takes AC/DC’s Brian Johnson for a ride in his Ferrari 250 GTO. Now that is how to spend a Sunday!
That’s it for this Sunday’s Last Lap. I hope it put a smile on your face as much as it did for me. Stay safe and enjoy the day (or evening depending on where you are reading this!).