Podcasts are all the rage and for good reason. You can subscribe to those that speak to your interests whether that be culture, sports, news or entertainment and you can listen to them at a time that is convenient to you whether that be in the car, at the gym or at work. For racing driver there are some great podcasts out there that will help you both on and off the track. Here are 8 that you should subscribe to.
For this feature I have focused on motorsport podcasts that focus on either the business of motorsport (finding sponsorship primarily) or on racecraft (whether that be on the track performance, fitness, mental conditioning, etc). I have also been generous in my definition of “podcast” to include not only traditional audio podcasts but video podcasts as well such as regularly updated YouTube videos. They are listed in alphabetical order to avoid the implication that one is better than the other. All of them bring some interesting and helpful information to any racing driver no matter the level you compete at or the type of car you race so in my opinion you should make the time for all of them. I have also included a link to their Motorsport Prospects Directory listing so you can get further information on the services each podcast producer also offers as these are all part of a greater motorsport service offering. Here we go!
The Driver 61 Podcast
- The Driver 61 video podcast is produced by Scott Mansell of the online motorsport resource guide Driver 61. Primarily focusing on racecraft with topics ranging from the techniques of past and current F1 drivers to track driving techniques you can use, a new episode is published every few months. You can watch and subscribe to the video podcast on YouTube here. Scott also publishes a sim racing podcast podcast as well. You can view and subscribe to it here. UPDATE! Scott now has an audio podcast called The Scott Mansell Podcast that you can listen to in addition to all the video resources listed above. You can listen wherever you get your podcasts. Here is a link to the show at Apple Podcasts.
The Motorsport Coaching Podcast
- The Motorsport Coaching Podcast is produced by Belinda Risely of MotiV8 Training and MotiV8 Management. Published regularly, the podcast covers everything from fitness, data analysis, racecraft, sponsorship acquisition and more. You can read my interview with Belinda on the Motorsport Prospects blog here. In the interests of transparency I was interviewed on the podcast recently. You can check out the podcast and subscribe here.
The Racers360 Podcast
- Racers360 is an online race coaching program that offers a wide array of online services for the racing driver featuring some pretty big name drivers offering coaching advice like Joseph Newgarden. Their free video podcast covers a wide range of racecraft-related topics such as the racing mindset, braking, weight transfer and more. You can subscribe to their podcast on YouTube here.
The Race Driver Coach Show
- Enzo Mucci, better known as The Race Driver Coach is a well known and respected UK-based driver coach who is the author of a number of motorsport resources and services. His regularly published video podcast focuses on both the business of motorsport as well as racecraft and covers the gamut of race driver-related topics such as work ethic, the cost of racing, planning your motorsport career, using a simulator to improve your racecraft and more. He has a particular and well earned reputation for focusing on the mindset of the racing driver with tools and techniques to help build up your mental game. You can view and subscribe to his video podcast on YouTube here. You can also read my interview with Enzo on the Motorsport Prospects blog here.
The Racing Mentor Sponsorship Podcast
- The Racing Mentor Sponsorship podcast is hosted by Jess Shanahan of The Racing Mentor, an online resource that focuses on sponsorship acquisition and the business of motorsport and racing driver Toby Trice. The podcast is jam packed with useful, actionable information on finding sponsors and also features a great list of additional resources and tools with each show. You can listen to and subscribe to the podcast here.
The Safe is Fast Podcast
- SAFEisFAST is a free online driver development program for young and aspiring drivers, created by The Road Racing Drivers Club (RRDC). The website features video tutorials and advice from world champion drivers on topics such as racecraft, fitness, safety, career management and more and is endorsed by Bobby Rahal. It is an amazing resource featuring some pretty big name contributors from the world of motorsport like Fernando Alonso. You can subscribe to the video podcast on YouTube here.
The Speed Secrets Podcast
- Hosted by Ross Bentley, a driver coach of international renown, the Speed Secrets podcast is another treasure trove of racecraft secrets that is essential listening. How do I know? Not only is Ross featured on numerous other sites as well as being a sought after guest on the podcast of others, his podcast is continuously cited as the gold standard of racing podcasts. You can check out and subscribe to his podcast here. You can also read my two-part interview with him on the Motorsport Prospects blog here and here.
Your Data Driven Podcast
- Hosted by professional engineer and amateur racer Samir Abid, the Your Data Driven podcast focuses on data analysis, race car engineering and all that entails in order to improve your on track performance. Featuring a number of impressive guests like data analytics guru Peter Krause, British Touring Car legend Matt Neal, F1 driver, author and the original Stig Perry McCarthey, Ross Bentley and Scott Mansell (notice a pattern?), this is a great resource into the sometimes secret world of data analysis and race car engineering. You can listen to and subscribe to the podcast here.
There you have it, 8 podcasts to fill up your down time while learning something useful that you can apply to your motorsport career. Have I missed your favourite? I am sure there are others out there so please add them in the comments section below and I will update the list for the future.
Happy listening and viewing!