A Crossle Formula Ford 16F/70/40 is for sale in the Motorsport Prospects Marketplace and it brings to any racing enthusiast the opportunity to race a car and a class that has been fundamental to grooming future motorsport champions since 1967. And as you will see in a future Motorsport Prospects blog piece, it still does so to this day.
The Car’s Story
From the seller Race Car Locators: Here is a great Formula Ford, preferred at the track, a 1970 Crossle 16F, chassis #40. Information shown below. I have seen this Crossle race in Seattle more than once, never a DNF. I have personally owned a 16F and have to say, a great race car from a historic manufacturer in Northern Ireland with a solid reputation. Firm price on this car, can race anywhere.
From the owner: Regarding my 1970 Vintage Crossle 16F/20F #40 Formula Ford, I purchased the Crossle in March of 2009 from Jim Sloane, Spokane, WA. I raced it fairly regularly for all the years that I owned it except for the last 3 years. It has never had a mechanical failure. It has never had a DNF. It is the “best vintage car” with an “aerodynamic shape”. The last dyno work in 2016 was used just for tuning carburetor, distributor, exhaust and fuel, etc.. The stainless steel exhaust system, 4 into 2 into 1, gives 2 additional horsepower.
The Car Details
Included with the Crossle:
- double adjustable Koni shocks, all corners
- Pertronix ignition system in distributor
- stainless Hy-Tech exhaust
- transponder direct wired to ignition system; operates 100% of time with ignition switch in the “ON” position. Driver need not worry about turning on the transponder.
- low pressure oil warning light; comes on automatically when oil pressure drops to less than 20psi (also comes on when driving slowly through paddock area after a hot race or during cool-off lap))
- removable steering wheel
- brilliant flashing F1 type rain light
- bonded t-6 0.080 aluminum belly pan
- Weber carburetor
- new radiator installed; original radiator included separately
- Miscellaneous parts and spares
- brand new seat belts 2021
- new Odyssey battery installed for 2020 season (only raced once in 2020)
- 9 additional sets of gears in Pegasus wooden case
- Rhino gear box: no cracks, no welds
- two sets of Panasports. Note: rear rim bolt pattern differs from front rim bolt pattern.
- one set of steel rims for use with rain tires
- hydraulic clutch
- Loyning engine with new modern Ford engine block (2018) and cam
- fuel cell almost new
- two front noses, one of which is concourse new, never used in 11 years
Where Can I Race?
There are a number of historic Formula Ford racing series that you can happily race the Crossle. Here are a selection of series to give you an idea of what you can expect.
The Crossflow Cup (USA)
Formula Ford Challenge Series (USA & Canada)
HSCC Historic Formula Ford (UK)
Historic Formula Ford (UK & Europe)
Formula Ford Historic France
Historic Formula Ford Racing (Australia)
I hope this has given you a bit of a taste of what it is like racing historic Formula Fords. You can join in on the fun by buying this Crossle Formula Ford 16F/70/40 for sale in the Marketplace through this link where you can contact the seller direct. Have fun on the track!