A lot to talk about this week in Sim Racing and Esports News including details of who is racing in the TCR Virtual Cup, a great sim racing charity event, Gran Turismo 7 reviews, iRacing developments, a new addition to Assetto Corsa, some sim racing racecraft advice from new contributor Davin Roberts Sturdivant and more.
TCR Virtual Cup
Fifteen gamers from twelve countries will take part in the TCR Virtual Cup Global Final that takes place Saturday at the Racing Fuel Academy in Zurich where the first ever champion will be crowned, winning a test in a real TCR car. Amongst them are the winners of the Continental Finals of Europe and Americas, Lukáš Matěja from the Czech Republic and Juan Manuel Gómez from Argentina respectively, plus three guest starts: WTCR driver Néstor Girolami, the TCR South America champion Pepe Oriola and Thomas Schmid who represented Switzerland in the Esports Category of the 2019 FIA Motorsport Games.
The list of the qualified competitors includes Bartosz Groszek who graduated to real TCR competition by winning a SIM Racing constest and became a title contender in last year’s TCR Eastern Europe.
The event’s format is based on three rounds of Qualifying and Race, each of them on a different circuit: Watkins Glen, Okayama and Barcelona-Catalunya. The final will be live streamed on the TCR YouTube channel and Facebook page from 15:00 CET on March 12, 2022.
2 – Coen Klopman (NED), Lynk & Co 03 TCR
13 – Maarten Steverink (NED), Alfa Romeo Giulietta Veloce TCR
16 – Dominik Plona (POL), Honda Civic Type R TCR
17 – Lukáš Matěja (CZE), Lynk & Co 03 TCR
20 – Thomas Schmid (SUI), Renault Megane RS TCR
22 – Thibaud Propst (FRA), Honda Civic Type R TCR
28 – Jan Nimz (GER), CUPRA Leon Competición TCR
29 – Néstor Girolami (ARG), Honda Civic Type R TCR
43 – Adam Pinczes (HUN), CUPRA Leon Competición TCR
71 – Geoff Newton (AUS), Audi RS 3 LMS TCR
74 – Pepe Oriola (ESP), Honda Civic Type R TCR
84 – Juan Manuel Gómez (ARG), Hyundai Elantra N TCR
86 – Shayne Jordan (USA), CUPRA Leon Competición TCR
97 – Bartosz Groszek (POL), Audi RS 3 LMS TCR
412 – Ryan Woodrow (USA), Alfa Romeo Giulietta Veloce TCR
VETMotorsports Armed Forces iRacing Challenge & Fundraiser
iRacers! You could win 2 tickets to the 2022 Indy 500, a 2-seat Indycar ride, or an SCCA membership for 1 year! But that’s only if you put your digital race shoes on the podium. We hope to see you there! All proceeds benefit VETMotorsports motorsports mission! Practice starts April 24, 2022 at 12:35 PM. Register soon as race entries are limited to 62 drivers per race. You can register here.
Gran Turismo 7 Views & Reviews
I have posted a number of reviews for Gran Turismo 7 in past Sim Racing & Esports News round-ups but here are a few more along with some hints on where the program is going.
- Road & Track: Gran Turismo 7 Is the Best in the Series Since GT4
- Traxion: Here’s how Gran Turismo 7 looks on PS4, PS4 Pro and PS5 (see video above)
- Traxion also looks into what the future holds for Gran Turismo 7.
Vision GT from Jaguar & Porsche
The cool thing about sims is that you can race some pretty interesting concept cars. In Gran Turismo that falls under the Vision GT banner. Check out what Jaguar and Porsche have available for Gran Turismo 7.
- Jaguar’s New Vision GT Roadster and Vision GT SV Are Playable In Gran Turismo 7.
- Porsche Plans for Its VisionGT Concept to Be a Game Changer
There were a number of iRacing developments over the last week. Here were a few.
- Traxion reports on iRacing announcing Aston Martin GT4, Formula IR-04 and more for 2022 Season 2 build.
- Winton Motor Raceway in Australia is set to be released as part of the latest update to the iRacing platform. See the video above for a taste.
- Finally, the Skip Barber Formula iRacing Series kicks off March 14, 2022. The Formula iRacing Series features a weekly Hot Lap qualifier where drivers attempt to set the fastest laps to earn entry to the race. From there, the top 20 drivers of the week will compete in races where cumulative points will be earned based on finishing position. Between qualifying and the race that week, drivers will have an opportunity to gain guidance from Skip Barber Racing School instructors in online test sessions. With over $500,000 in prizes at stake, the ultimate winner will earn a seat in the Skip Barber Formula Race Series. Full details and how you can enter can be found here.
- Not that driving wild concept cars and high-end Formula 1 machinery is not cool, but it would be nice to be able to race something a little bit, shall we say achievable. The folks at No Money Motorsports has you covered as the Spec Miata is now available for Assetto Corsa.
New Motorsport Prospects contributor Davin Roberts Sturdivant from Project D has produced an excellent racecraft video called Racecraft 101: Psychology of Being Around Other Cars. You can watch it above. Look for more exciting and instructive content coming from Davin in the virtual pages of Motorsport Prospects in the near future.
Assorted Sim Racing News & Views
- If you are in the Ajax, Ontario, Canada region, Hip Motorsport Studios is kicking off a 5-week series in person sim racing league at their eSports Arena. The eSports Arena at HIP Motorsports provides the perfect race simulation environment for individuals or groups. The Arena offers plenty of room for racers and spectators to spread out comfortably. The eight high-quality simulators in the eSports Arena feature triple 32″ monitors, force-feedback pedals and steering, plus a motion platform to deliver a high level of racing immersion. The leagues kicks off March 12, 2022.
- The Sim Grid has announced a new feature. According to Sim Grid: “Gone are the boring driver profiles of before and arriving is a brand new design which holds actual useful information and it’s great to look at. The biggest addition to User Profiles is the Grid Feed which introduces a timeline of your activities on SimGrid, including upcoming events, completed races, qualifying results and championships. You can browse Grid Feeds from other drivers and soon you’ll be able to share your result cards too.” For examples you can check out some of the profiles from the SimGrid team.