Happy Sunday! On this week’s edition of the Motorsport Prospects Last Lap I look at awesome V12-powered cars for 2022, a Porsche Cup Le Mans four-way battle for the ages, a feature on Horacio Pagani, auction news and more. The Motorsport Prospects Last Lap, the best way to kick off your Super Bowl Sunday!
- With the gradual move to electric power, Sharp Magazine looks at the V12 Monsters of 2022: Get ’Em While You Still Can. There are some incredible cars to look forward to on this list.
- While I love a V12, that does not mean that electric has to be boring. Check out this DS prototype sportscar with twin Formula E derived powertrain. “Built by the Stellantis brand’s racing arm, DS Performance, it features a carbon monocoque, which packages twin electric motors sourced from the company’s Formula E machine and giving a combined output of 600kW (815hp) and 8,000Nm, driving all four wheels. DS Performance states that with a matching 600kW regen capacity, impressively a mechanical braking system is not needed, and is present only as a backup safety measure.”
- From the fine folks at Goodwood I bring you this video which in their opinion “this four‑way battle is the best Le Mans race ever.” As a bit of context: “The support races for the Le Mans 24 Hours switch around every year, one year it’s the Ferrari Challenge Series, the next the Aston Martin Festival. In other years, it is the Porsche Carrera Cup. But not just the 18 or so cars you see supporting the BTCC each year, this is an amalgamation of Carrera Cups GB, France and Benelux. So what you get is around 60 Porsche 911s doing battle on the famous La Sarthe track.” Check out the video below called by the incomparable John Hindhaugh for all the excitement.
- If that video got you all excited about Porsche’s on the track, Eastern Canadian Porsche owners will love the February 2022 issue of Cayman Marshall International Luxury & Lifestyle magazine as they look at the newly announced Porsche Experience Canada.
- More Porsche fun! Hypercar designer Horacio Pagani speaks to the Robb Report on Collecting Porsches and Reading Leonardo da Vinci.
- Remember when Lego was just a kids toy and you dreaded stepping on them during the night when you headed to the ridge for that nocturnal glass of cold water? Well that has changed dramatically over the years and the newly announced 2022 Lego Speed Champions Set includes the Lamborghini Countach and Mercedes-AMG F1 kits.
- Finally, if you are looking for some two wheel fun, Ducati’s new customization service lets you design the motorcycle of your dreams.
- Check out the 5 most expensive cars sold at Barrett-Jackson’s wild $203 million January auction. From the Robb Report: “All told, 1,857 vehicles hammered down for over $195.9 million, while 1,153 pieces of automobilia earned an additional $7.3 million. Even better, the auction raised $8.8 million for charity with proceeds from 10 select cars going to Operation Homefront, a non-profit that seeks to provide support for military and veteran families.”
- If you are intrigued at the photo that is featured at the top of this week’s post, that is the eclectic Porsche and BMW collection that is heading to Gooding & Co.’s Amelia Island Auction on March 4, 2022.
- Finally, if you are interested in automotive auctions, I invite you to visit the Racing Edge live auctions page. Run by Racing Edge, the Motorsport Prospects partner that powers the Motorsport Prospects Marketplace, the Racing Edge Auction Network is a centralized collection of different auction houses from around the world. They partner with new auction sites or help start one by providing the software and network to do so. When one of their auction partners posts a car to the network, they will post it on their site! All bids and comments are connected and will update in real-time. For example, if you place a bid on a Racing Edge auction that is also displayed on one or more partner sites, your bid will be updated across all brands. Currently they are featuring a 1968 Ford Mustang 302 Coupe, 969 Porsche 911T Targa and 1972 Porsche 911T Targa amongst others on auction. Check regularly for updates.
That’s it for this week. Enjoy the game!