This week I feature another opportunity to graduate from sim racing to the real thing, something Max Verstappen himself calls a switch that is possible.
I also feature the latest general and competitive sim racing news, tech news reviews and a tour of Tony Kannan’s sim racing HQ in this week’s edition of the Sim Racing Roundup on Motorsport Prospects. It’s sim racing news for racers, not gamers.
From Sim Racing to the Real Thing
“As we build out our driver-development pyramid, we’re constantly searching for new talent in motorsports, and where better to find it than in Sim-Racing. Enter the 2023 PT Autosport eSeries. Over 4 rounds of racing, you’ll be tested on your speed, racecraft, and adaptability in hopes of winning a direct entry into the 2024 PT Autosport Aspiring Driver Shootout finals, where you’ll race on track to fight for a driver partnership to chase your racing dreams.”
You can get more information here.
Now three-time World Champion Max Verstappen continues to promote sim racing and its use as a pathway to real-world motorsport and his own plans with his nascent GT3 team. As he explains to Essentially Sports:
A sim racing venture founded about 20 years ago, Max Verstappen proudly boasts of its advantages. The Red Bull driver believes that sim-racing can be an effective way to build a ‘lovely’ motorsport career. He reiterates, “And the point is that I can create a stepping stone from sim racing to the GT3 so that you don’t only end up in motorsport via karting, because that costs a ridiculous amount of money at the moment.” The Dutchman added, “Sim-racing is a lot cheaper compared karting. And of course such a switch is possible. It has also happened before, but it has never really worked out well for certain reasons. I believe that, if you approach everything very professionally, you can really build a beautiful motorsport career from sim racing.”“A Switch Is Possible”: Max Verstappen Reveals Post F1 Plans as $421,000 Venture Becomes Pathbreaker in Motorsport
Competitive Sim Racing News
Here are more headlines from the world of competitive sim racing.
- The Toyota GR GT Cup further legitimizes sim-racing in the esports scene (Top Gear Philippines)
- ADAC SimRacing Expo Professional Trophy: van der Velde wins third round following Statsenko penalty (Traxion)
- Sim racing league platform AMX joins forces with Team Redline (Traxion)
Courtesy of Podium Live, take a behind-the-scene’s tour of Tony Kannan’s new sim HQ. Follow TK as he gives us a tour.
Sim Racing Tips & Techniques
Racing Prodigy has introduced a Coaching Marketplace.
“Welcome to the Coaching Marketplace, the ultimate destination for sim racers and aspiring race car drivers who want to take their skills to the next level. Our platform connects racing enthusiasts with a community of experienced coaches and professionals who offer a range of products and services designed to help sim racers achieve their goals in both virtual and real-world racing.”
Sim Racing Tech Roundup
Here is a roundup of the latest sim racing tech news, reviews, and recommendations from around the world.
- Pull Your Own Italian Job With This $36,000 Austin Mini Sim Rig (Car Scoops)
- October 2023 PC Sim Racing Build (Box This Lap)
- Logitech G Pro Racing Wheel & Pedals review: The perfect upgrade (Dexerto)
General Sim Racing News
- Hot Lap Racing announced for Switch, PC (Gematsu)
- Isometric racing sequel, Super Woden GP 2, releases 18th November (Traxion)
- Forza Motorsport Review | Pedal to the metal (Ungeek)
- Forza Motorsport review: reinventing the wheel? (Stuff)
- NASCAR and iRacing join forces for 2025 console game: Everything we know (Dexerto)
- Here’s the Lister Storm within GTRevival’s game engine (Traxion)
- GTRevival to Get Online Racing Platform to Rival iRacing (Race Department)
- The IndyCar game’s future is “under review” (Traxion)
- rFactor 2 Online ranked multiplayer system available today (Traxion)
- Forza Motorsport (2023) delivers sim racing for any & everybody (CNN Underscored)
- Forza Motorsport debuts with solid Metacritic score as first reviews land (Yahoo)
- We Have Created a NASCAR Simulator Better than Ever Before (iRacing)
- The Crew: Motorfest (Xbox Series X) Review (411 Mania)
- Forza Motorsport Review: A Solid Reboot Strictly for the Racers (The Drive)
- Forza Motorsport is OK with being the boring Forza (Polygon)
- Forza Motorsport review: Did Gran Turismo do it better? (Yahoo)
- Here’s when Forza Motorsport unlocks in your time zone (PC Gamer)
- We Play the New Forza Motorsport on Xbox Nonstop for Six Hours (Car and Driver)
- Forza Motorsport review: Practice makes perfect (Pocket Lint)
- Forza Motorsport review: I’m a sim racer and this game is stunning – but it’s hard to love (The Mirror)
- Classic BMW and Viper GT stars added to GTRevival’s growing roster (Taxion)
- ADAC SimRacing Expo 2023: Everything you need to know (Traxion)