This week, Max Esterson explains how he is transitioning from iRacing to real-world racing and discusses the challenges and opportunities it presents.
I also feature an opportunity for some sim racing training for those planning to compete for the Ginetta Junior Scholarship, the truth behind Jann Mardenborough’s secret racing lines and understanding understeer and oversteer.
In addition to all that I have the latest competitive and general sim racing news and a look at Daniel Morad’s sim racing rig.
All this and more in this week’s edition of the Sim Racing Roundup on Motorsport Prospects. Its sim racing news for racers not gamers.
From Sim Racing to the Real Thing
Hear how the young American Max Esterson has gone from sim racing to a motorsport career on the latest episode of the Traxion.GG Podcast which you can watch above.
Whether you are a seasoned professional race car driver or an aspiring driver looking to break into motorsports, there are more factors to consider than just getting a shot and a seat. In the video above, Racing Prodigy CEO, David Cook, breaks down the biggest barrier to overcome for a long and sustainable racing career.
If you are considering the Ginetta Junior Scholarship this October (see this week’s Driver Development Roundup), SIMTrack and Goodman Media are offering an exclusive, tailor-made training workshop on the 11th/12th October.
“Get ahead of the competition this year and benefit from 90-minutes of sim training with 1-2-1 driver training and a 90-minute media training session with Louise Goodman.”
If you have seen the film Gran Turismo, you will be curious as to how Jann Mardenborough found those secret racing lines that he used on track. Car and Driver asked him that very question.
“It’s not Le Mans, but certainly, I found different lines in real life, at different circuits. I have stumbled across a different race line in the wet, at Fuji again, while doing Formula 3. At the exit of Turn 1, beyond the white line, there’s some “grasscrete,” we call it, like some cobbled stones almost. But they’re quite grippy. And I remember being out of control arriving at turn one in an F3 in a test session, very wet. Not going to make the apex. Definitely not going to make the apex. And I just cranked a little lock at the last minute and my front left tire hooked onto these cobbled stones that had quite a lot of grip on them.”
Competitive Sim Racing News
Here are more headlines from the world of competitive sim racing.
- British F4 Esports announces series partners and full team entry list (Traxion)
- The Future of Competitive Sim Racing: Esports on Wheels (Game is Hard)
- Joshua Rogers finishes sixth in Belgium after semi-final win (Porsche Newsroom)
Sim Racing Tips & Techniques
In the video above, Danny Lee explains understeer and oversteer. “One of the most valuable things you can do to get better at sim racing is to understand the very thing you’re using to do it – your car! Understeer and Oversteer loom over everything you do – every single lap, car, corner and maneuver is done at risk of these two things. Know your car and out-drive your competition.”
Sim Racing Tech Roundup
Here is a roundup of the latest sim racing tech news and reviews from around the world.
In the video above, Daniel Morad gives a guided tour of his sim racing rig. “This is my 2023 custom ASR Pro racing simulator setup. It is maxed out in so many ways but still has a few areas that can be and will be changed in the near future. It perfectly blends function and practicality to help me create content and train for my real races.”
- Logitech G920 review: A great entry point (Dexerto)
- Thrustmaster previews new rally steering wheel (Traxion)
General Sim Racing News
- I Played the First Two Hours of Forza Motorsport. Here’s What to Expect (The Drive)
- Sky expands sponsorship deal with Guild, invests six figures to refit Sky Guild Gaming Centre for more tournaments & gaming nights (Esports News UK)
- IndyCar staying patient with Motorsport Games amid issues (RACER)
- International Olympic Committee launches IOC Esports Commission (Esports Insider)
- Gran Turismo 7 VR Turned Me Into Ricky Bobby (Esquire)
- Nissan executive tells the real story behind the new Gran Turismo movie – Hagerty Media (Hagerty)
- Forza Motorsport already feels like my next sim racing obsession (Games Radar)
- Forza Motorsport is a perfect racing sim for beginners — here are our early thoughts (CNN)
- Forza Motorsport hands-on preview: a career mode with welcome layers of strategy and risk (Tech Radar)
- Forza Motorsport (2023) hands-on preview: A new platform to help us fall in love with cars (Windows Central)
- This AI improvement changes everything in Forza Motorsport (Tech Radar)
- The first hands-on Forza Motorsport preview impressions are in – here’s what to expect (ONMSFT.COM)
- Rennsport: Release Date, Trailer, And Everything We Know (Hot Cars)
- Movie Review/’Gran Turismo’ (The Franklin Journal)
- Fact or Fiction: Why the Gran Turismo Movie Is a Little of Both (MotorTrend)
- New Content, Increased Car Counts: iRacing Rolls Out Massive Season 4 2023 Update (RaceDepartment)
- EA Unveils New EA Sports WRC Racing-Sim (Cog Connected)
- Porsche, Acura to Complete iRacing GTP Lineup (Sportscar 365)
- A1 Simulation and Parro Info Developpement Announce Josh Bergman as Brand Ambassador (Newswire)