This week in the Sim Racing and Esports News Roundup I have a beginners guide to sim racing, how FEED Racing wants to give sim racers an opportunity to graduate to real world racing, TedTrax Racing’s exciting plans to grow grassroots racing through sim racing, a new esports championship from Motorsport UK and much more.
- Here is the recorded video from the recent Live Q&A With Asetek SimSports CEO André Eriksen.
- Speaking of Asetek, they have published A Beginner’s Guide to Sim Racing – How To Get Started. “Sim racing is a broad term with many aspects and an extensive glossary needing to be understood to fully grasp it. Therefore, we have created this beginner’s guide for those interested in learning more about racing simulators and getting started. It will provide a basic understanding of the equipment and info needed to start your trip into the sim racing world.Furthermore, this article will give an overview of some of the most prevalent sims (games) within the genre and how they separate from each other.”
- According to FEED Racing: ‘We want to democratise motorsport & organise karting shootouts for 100 Euros.’ Sim Racing is also part of the plan. “Like in karting, there is a real step between e-sport and the real world” says Lemarié. “It’s a really great detection system because it’s open to much more people than in karting, as [there] are less financial constraints. We are really thinking to do some sim-racing selections to have [a] free 5-days training course with us. But we will never think about winning an F4 seat just with a sim-racing competition because we [would] have no idea how they will adapt on track.”
- Another organization that wants to use sim racing to grow motorsport from the grassroots up is TedTrax Racing. I discussed their plans recently and you can read my interview with TedTrax founder Tom Hockley here.”With our Junior Esports Series in development, our aim is to provide a fun safe community platform for families to provide their kids an opportunity to race, learn and develop at a fraction of the cost of being on track. With the ability to then identify on track talent, we could then look to support children with real world applications on track by linking up with already established academy programmes. As we discussed, with the correct funding there’s no limit to how far we could support juniors in their roadmap to pursuing a career in motorsport, either on track or the industry itself.”
- Motorsport UK has announced they will be launching a new eSports series this October, with a twelve-round series of the ROKiT British F4 Esports Championship. “Whoever comes out on top of the championship will be crowned the inaugural ROKiT British F4 Esports Champion along with a share of the £6,000 prize pool and attend Motorsport UK’s annual Night of Champions awards ceremony at the Royal Automobile Club alongside champions from a range of disciplines of real-world motorsports.”
- Metaverse and blockchain gaming firm Animoca Brands has agreed to acquire WePlay Media, the developer of the MotoGP Championship Quest mobile game according to Blackbook Motorsport. “It represents the latest expansion into the world of MotoGP by Animoca Brands, having been a partner of the global motorcycling series since 2019. The acquisition will enable the company to expand its relationship with MotoGP promoter Dorna Sports as a sponsor, non-fungible token (NFT) licensor, collectible cards provider, and blockchain game developer and publisher.”
- The Coach Dave Academy looks at The Best PS5 Sim Racing Wheels to Buy in 2022. “In this article, we’ll dive into some of the best solutions out there to help you sim race on a PlayStation 5. From budget solutions to top-of-the-line technology, these wheels will help you turn that extra lap and find that next tenth of a second.”
- Grid by Sim-Lab Ltd. has announced a 3-year official licensing agreement with Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG that encompasses a variety of official Porsche replica sim racing products. GRID is introducing the Porsche 911 RSR Sim Racing Steering Wheel as the first product of several that will carry the official Porsche branding.