Sim racing is making a real impact on real-world racetracks and this week I will bring you just a few examples. From a sim racer graduating to British F4 to Sergio Perez using a sim to work out his real-world F1 set-up issues and on to the winning lap of the inaugural Prodigy Week Champion. These are just a few examples of how sim racing is influencing real-world motorsport.
I also have the latest competitive and general sim racing news, tech reviews and tips and advice in this week’s edition of the Sim Racing Roundup on Motorsport Prospects. Its sim racing news for racers, not gamers.
From Sim Racing to the Real Thing
Fortec Motorsport is delighted to announce that Nina Pothof will make her debut in the F4 British Championship with the team for the 2024 season.
The 20-year-old from Wijster in the Netherlands is an accomplished karter – having taken the Karting Slalom Gold medal at the 2019 FIA Motorsport Games. She also beat out 1200 entrants to become part of FIA Girls on Track European Team in 2019, completing two FIA training camps. Nina is also a driver coach, YouTuber, and has a large following on social media where she posts content of both sim and real-world racing, including Formula 1 track guides for Veloce Esports.
The video above goes on board with Brazil’s Gustavo Ariel as he runs his fastest lap in the Radical SR1 at Prodigy Week. The PRL’s first Prodigy Pass winner became the first Prodigy Week Radical SR1 competition winner!
Sergio Perez thinks his 2023 Formula 1 season has “transformed completely” thanks to spending three days in the Red Bull simulator after reaching its lowest ebb in Qatar. It prompted a three-day brainstorming session in the Milton Keynes simulator to find a set-up breakthrough, which yielded some set-up wins that helped Perez return to the podium in last week’s Las Vegas Grand Prix.
Competitive Sim Racing News
At next year’s CEC Live conference taking place at Agua Caliente Resort Casino Spa Rancho Mirage from March 19-21, 2024. one of the sessions will be:
“Race Car driving and possible simulations to launch in casinos? Real-time graphics with zero lag time on screens for better experiences for horse racing. Let’s talk about the equipment that is needed for these opportunities.”
Here are more headlines from the world of competitive sim racing
- Porsche Coanda works driver Joshua Rogers wins ESL R1 fall final (Porsche)
- Marcel Kiefer joins Williams Esports for 23/24 F1 Sim Racing Series (Williams F1)
- RYCO Performance Caps Off Dominant 2023 iRacing Season with Multiple Titles (Kick In the Tires)
- EICMA MX Esports Championship finale IRL from Milan (initeSports)
- Competitive Gaming Takes a Step Back as Esports Winter Looms (Sportico)
- WATCH: Williams Esports get started in Jönköping (Williams F1)
Sim Racing Tips & Techniques
Sim Racing Tech Roundup
Here is a roundup of the latest sim racing tech news, reviews, and recommendations from around the world.
- Simucube Announces the New Valo GT-23 Wheel (Box This Lap)
- Pimax Crystal review: the ultimate VR headset for flight sim and racing games? (Eurogamer)
General Sim Racing News
- The Patient Zero of Modern Sim Racing (Racing Games)
- Luxury Watchmaker Bulgari Teases Collab With Gran Turismo For Limited Edition Timepiece (Says)
- 10 Best PlayStation Plus Extra/Premium Driving Games (Car Throttle)
- Video Game Genres That Will Propel Virtual Reality (Island Echo)
- Los Santos From GTA 5 Looks Great in Assetto Corsa; Project Sim Racing Shows High-end PC Racing (Game Pressure)