Why are Race Simulators important? From learning a track, improving your racecraft or building your confidence, it is an important tool for the race driver.
This week on the Sim Racing and Esports News Roundup I bring you details on how a GB4 competitor uses sim racing to hone his skills, how sim racing is growing in India and bringing real world success and how Daniel Ricciardo, yes Danny Ric used a simulator to regain his confidence.
I also bring you a day in the life of a competitive sim racer, a guide to sim racing pedals and Lando Norris’ sim racing setup.
All this and more in this week’s edition of the Sim Racing and Esports News Roundup on Motorsport Prospects. It is sim racing news real racers can use.
From Sim Racing to the Real Thing
The video above and the article How one rising star is using sim racing to their advantage in Autosport explains how sim racing helps Cooper Webster’s motorsport career.
“There are some things that translate perfectly between real life and sim racing,” highlights Webster. “Your racing IQ is really important, such as choosing when to defend or when to push, and being under pressure. The pressure you feel in sim racing is the same or even more so than what you have in motorsport. So putting yourself in that position, such as going into qualifying and you’ve got to do that one lap, it’s the exact same as real life. That’s what I find really helps me.”
Justin Singh is making strides in his motorsport career and sim racing is helping him do it. He is the youngest-ever racer to win the MRF Saloon Car Category at the FMSCI National Car Racing Championship held in Chennai. The championship is the premier rallying series in India run under the aegis of the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI).
“His lack of access to training facilities did not deter him. Justin relied on simulator racing as a way of understanding vehicle dynamics and race craft. He is an alumnus of St Columba’s School, New Delhi, and is currently pursuing higher studies at Vivekananda Institute of Professional Studies, Delhi. Strada Motorsports launched him into professional motorsports, and he presently drives for Team Redline Racing, India making him one of the most celebrated drivers in India.”
Akhil Reddy, Chairman & MD, Racing Promotions Private Limited (RPPL) has stated that he is planning to take the Indian Racing League to the next level.
“We are determined to take Indian Racing League to the next level as we see it as an opportunity for aspiring racing drivers to showcase their skills on a national platform with broadcast in the biggest sports network in the country surely increases the visibility of the sport,” Akhil said in an interview with Sportstar. “We will try and remove the entry barriers into motorsports by building an ecosystem in the grassroots for karting and sim racing which enables everyone to participate,” he said.
I mentioned him last week but NASCAR team 23XI has hired sim racer Keegan Leahy as a performance coach.
“Keegan Leahy, the 2021 eNASCAR Coca-Cola iRacing Series champion and 23XI Racing’s eNASCAR driver, has a new title with the team: performance consultant. Or what Leahy calls, “just a big mismatch of whatever I can do to help the race car, or the drivers be faster for the race.””
Taking a year off to work on getting his mojo back, a recent session in a sim has reinvigorated Daniel Ricciardo as he works to get his confidence back. “So my first day on the simulator with Red Bull this year, it was honestly probably the most fun simulator session I’ve ever had,” Ricciardo told an exclusive group of media, including Speedcafe. “Because the sim, it certainly feels like work, it has become work, especially as a racecar driver – you get in to your work and you get out.”
Competitive Sim Racing News
Ever wondered what it looks like to participate in a full 24 hours of racing at Le Mans? In the video above, the Mercedes-AMG F1 team followed Esports Driver of the Year James Baldwin to discover exactly what level of performance goes into it!
Here are more headlines from the world of competitive sim racing:
- Racing Unleashed unveils LAN esports competitions with €200,000 prize pool
- Motorsport UK launches Assetto Corsa Competizione Hot Lap Challenge
- ESL R1 release amended calendar
- Ferrari Esports Series straps in for 2023 season
- The ‘Ferrari Velas Esports Series’ 2022 Championship heads to Europe and North America. For the Champion, a place in the Esports Team in Maranello
- Ferrari Esports Series 2023 – All important dates, where to watch, and more
- Next stop for the PESC: the Ardennes rollercoaster of Spa-Francorchamps
- PESC: Gustavo Ariel, Zac Campbell add to win column at Watkins Glen
- Driver comments after Porsche TAG Heuer Esports Supercup at Watkins Glen, results and standings
- ESL R1: Magic McCormack does the double at Round 5
- Joshua Rogers progresses to second in the ESL R1 sim racing series
- GamerFest 2023 to feature Valorant tournament, Collegiate Esports Challenge and more at Dublin’s RDS
Sim Racing Tips & Techniques
Flow Racers has put together their ultimate buyers guide for sim racing pedals in The Best Sim Racing Pedals Of 2023.
“Choosing the right set of sim racing pedals for your rig can be tough, as there are so many brands and options to choose from. However, once you know what to look for, it’s much easier to pick the best sim racing pedal set for your specific situation and experience level.”
Sim Racing Tech Roundup
What kind of sim racing rig does F1 driver Lando Norris use? Box this Lap has all the details. “Lando shares many of his experiences on Twitch, and like many of his contemporaries, he enjoys exchanging opinions with everyone on social media. He is one of the pioneers in this changing behavior of the drivers that we have seen in recent years, and he sets an example in how to handle new media.”
And in the video below, Norris explains why the sim is so important to his success in the motorsport world.
The SimTrader website is now open and accepting ads. If you are looking to sell sim racing equipment, this could be the place to go. It is the Classifieds Website for Sim Racing Gear Enthusiasts!
Here is a roundup of the latest sim racing tech news and reviews from around the world.
- Thrustmaster unveils Ferrari-branded T818 and wheel sim racing bundle
- Thrustmaster’s next sim racing wheel is a Ferrari 488 GT3 replica
- Fanatec – Gran Turismo DD PRO is Back!
General Sim Racing News
- rFactor 2: Still a Top Contender in Sim Racing in 2023?
- F1 2023 Game Ratings: Max Verstappen Set to Embarrass Lewis Hamilton in F1 Driver Ratings Once Again
- Early access and bonus game for TT Isle of Man: Ride on the Edge 3 Racing Fan Edition
- Demo for isometric racer Super Woden GP 2 now available
- SIM Steering Wheel Market [2023-2030] | Industry Booms Globally
- Why Rennsport never was, or will be, a GT3-only simulator
- iRacing and Orontes Games Unveil ExoCross, PlayStation and Xbox Console Ports
- Valencia set to boost Assetto Corsa Competizione’s track roster
- Sim Racing Cockpit Market 2023 | Top Players with Growth Strategies by 2030
- Raceroom Asia Adds The Winding Roads Of Genting Highlands